Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Double Done Rib Rub & BBQ Sauce!



Remember waaaay back last July, for my Mr's Bday feast, I shared pictures of some fab ribs, promising that I would share the recipe that summer?  Ya, well, I'm a liar liar pants on fire, I guess.  That recipe has yet to be shared, even though I have made it countless times since.  It's just that there's very rarely any leftovers to take pics of!  Which surely means, that this is a recipe to be adored.

This recipe is a little labour intensive.  I usually break out the ribs on a Sunday when I have extra time, or if there's company coming for dinner, and we wanna get a little fancy schmancy, and sauce up our faces.  I'll prepare the ribs and sauce usually in the morning, or even the night before if I'm really slim on time, or want to avoid having the oven on in the heat of the day.  Finally pulling them out to grill along with whatever sides are accompanying.

I know some people take their BBQ seriously, I'm so not one of them.  I make no claims on knowing what's what for doing up meat, I've just found that this is the recipe that works best for me, taste and technique wise.  I've got a lot to learn when it comes to grilling, but am having lots of fun experimenting and learning as I go.  The labour involved here is worth the result; a mouth-watering fall off the bone rib dish, perfect for summer BBQ season!



Double Done Rib Rub

I generally use 2 slabs of Pork Back or Side Ribs..whatever's on sale!

2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper



First I rub 'em in sauce and bake 'em all wrapped up in tin foil on low for a couple hours.

Preheat oven to 250 F.  Mix all ingredients together and slather both sides of the ribs.  Wrap in tin foil, and bake for about 2 hours.  While the ribs are baking, get your sauce ready!
Note:  You will (Optionally) use the juices from the baked ribs in the BBQ sauce, read ahead!

Double Done Ribs BBQ Sauce

1 small onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup Bullseye BBQ sauce or your fave BBQ sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
reserved rib juice or water (about 1/2 -1/2 cup in lieu of grease)


Using a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of oil, and saute onions until translucent.  Add garlic and ginger, and saute for an additional minute.  Next add ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, salt & pepper, followed by reserved rib juice.

Once the ribs are baked, let them cool for about 10 - 15 minutes.  Then carefully open tin foil, just enough to create a small funnel to release the juices.  Funnel those juices directly into your homemade Double Done BBQ Sauce, and stir to combine.  If you'd prefer, feel free to swap water for meat juice instead.

Re-wrap ribs (using same tin foil), and place somewhere cool, if preparing ahead.  Or unwrap tinfoil from ribs and proceed to BBQ.  Same with sauce: pour into jar, and refrigerate until ready to begin grilling the ribs, or stir up sauce and grill right away.

Preheat grill, to a medium - high heat with a low flame.  Slather ribs generously with homemade sauce, and turn ribs every 5 minutes or so, reapplying sauce on each side, so you get a delicious caramelized exterior with your preferred amount of char.

Enjoy!






2 comments: