Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fully Loaded Salad!



I was on the hunt for a new salad recipe, something to keep my taste buds inspired, and stay on track nutritionally.  This salad that I came up with is a bit of a hybrid of a number of salads I perused via Pinterest.  I haven't been putting grains in my salad for a while, I guess because it's something I don't normally do in the warmer months? But I find in the winter, I just need something a little more filling.  The salad dressing reminds me a bit of the tahini based dressing from my fave Glory Bowl salad, and would work well served with any variety of different dishes, both hot and cold. So Yum!


I don't know about you, but everyone at my work seems to be fighting off a different bugs, and I don't want what they have!  The addidtional benefit to this salad is to aid our systems in fighting off disease and illness, especially important this time of year.  This beautiful salad is filled with the wholesome goodness of two cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, and cauliflower.  Both of which provide support for the immune, inflammatory, hormonal, and detoxification systems!   Also the vibrant green parsley, which is so much more than just a garnish!  Parley is high in both vitamin C and K, as well as unique antioxidants and disease preventing properties.  And quinoa is no-longer a unknown grain, this superfood is high in fiber, protein, calcium, and anti-oxidents.  I tell my kids to eat their carrots, so they get super powers, like seeing in the dark, which is totally true!  Get your super powers too, and get your salad on! 



Fully Loaded Salad

1-2 cups Quinoa, cooked
1-2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
1-2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
2 carrots, shredded
a large handful fresh parsley, finely chopped

Rise the quinoa, and cook according to package directions.  While quinoa is cooking get chopping!  I use the whole bunch of broccoli, so peel the stem, and add that into the bowl as well, nothing goes to waste!  Add finely chopped cauliflower, shredded carrots, and parsley.  Add cooked quinoa, and give it a quick stir to combine.  Serve topped with the delicious Toasted Pumpkin Seed Dressing recipe that follows, and keep any leftovers in the fridge, ready for your next meal!

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Dressing
Recipe adapted from:  My New Roots

1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
3 cloves garlic
knob of fresh ginger, peeled
1 Tablespoons maple syrup
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 - 1/2 cups water
3/4 - 1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
pinch or two cayenne pepper

In a medium dry pan, over medium- high heat, toast pumpkin seeds, stirring every so often, until they begin to pop.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Using a food processor or blender, pulse to mince garlic and ginger.  Add cooled pumpkin seeds and blend on high until you reach a sand like texture.  Add water and blend, followed by remaining ingredients, scraping down the sides periodically.  Add more water is needed, until you reach desired consistency, and more salt and/or pepper to taste.  Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator, will keep for about a week.  Enjoy as a delicious salad dressing, on cooked grains, or with roast veggies, and even potatoes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. They say the spiritual control the physical, you have to understand that is true seeing what is happening around the world today you will see that it beyond the physical realm, so I have to protect my family members and myself from contacting this virus with protection spell. You too can protect your family and yourself from contacting the virus today with the protection spell. Contact Dr. Ekpen Temple today for the spell at ekpentemple@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete