Friday, October 11, 2013

Popcorn Au Naturel


Super duper Goodwill score!  I found this genuine Whirley-Pop, for only $4.00!!!  Amazing!  I've seen stove top popcorn makers in the stores, but their pretty pricey.  It's hard to justify spending $30.00 or more on something I can do in a pot or with my air popper.  I mean, you all know I'm obsessed with popcorn, right?  I use my old school air popper at least once per week, and it's never done me wrong.  But it's getting older, and now has electrical tape around the cord, and a cracked lid, so that it sometimes pops off, but I ignored its aging faults.  
But this Whirley-pop is so beautiful, it takes virtually no time to pop up a batch, I've even managed not to burn a batch yet, which is a feat for me on the stove top.  The kids love to be the handle cranker's, and the popcorn it makes is absolutely deeeeeelicious!   


The popcorn the Whirley-Pop creates is so crunchy and flavourful, I found it required virtually no additional oil or toppings.  Just coconut oil, and a bit of sea salt, and it's done!  If you can manage to save some for the next day, I swear it tastes even better a day old!  Extra crunchy and more buttery flavoured...How?  Dunno. So good, don't question it!

1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
a pinch or two of sea salt

Place Whirley-Pop over medium-high heat.  Add 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil and popcorn kernels to the pot.  Close the lid and turn the crank slowly.  Keep turning the crank until you start to hear the popping slow down.  Remove from heat.  When popping stops, pour the popcorn into a large bowl, add salt, and toss slightly.  Serve! 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. If you were to ask my mom, this is the only way to eat popcorn. Au Naturel or not at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS so good this way...but there's so many ways to play - we'll have to take her on a popcorn flavour adventure!

    ReplyDelete