Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pizza Chicken!


Yes, you read that correctly! Your eyes/my English is just fine!  Not Chicken PizzaPizza Chicken!  This is another one of my mom's recipes, one of my childhood faves.  One of those recipes that I've made myself so many times, I've made it my own, to suite the way my family likes it.  The recipe book I have pictured was a gift from my mom as part of care package when I first moved to Calgary.  It's dated April 1999, and my mom wrote out a few of her recipe standards to get me started.  Awwww:)  This book has been well used and much loved, as you can see! 
 It starts with taking boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, and flattening them to the thickness of a pizza crust.  Then dredging them in flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, and pan frying them; so the chicken stays crispy.
My mom, in her original recipe, would simply top the chicken with sauce and mozzarella cheese.  Simple and easy, probably why I liked it so much as a kid.
 But my way is to top the flattened out chicken breasts, just as you would a pizza crust: with tomato sauce, beef & sausage, onions, and olives, and top with Mozzarella cheese and Italian herbs.  
 More meat, on meat?  That's Cory's way (duh)!
 Maybe you like my style more?  Top the chicken with tomato sauce, onions, garlic, fresh chopped spinach (lots of it!), feta cheese, and a small amount of mozza, and herbs.
 Bake it all up together, and serve it along with buttered egg noodles(something the kids don't complain about!), or spaghetti squash (gluten free/paleo), and a tonne of steamed vegetables!



Pizza Chicken
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened
2 eggs
salt & pepper
1 cup flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs/panko
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
Pizza toppings: tomato sauce, onions, garlic, sausage, olives, spinach & feta, shredded mozza, etc.

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened.
(I place chicken in a clean plastic bag, and flatten with a wooden mallet, then throw away the bag when finished - easy cleanup!)
In a small bowl add 2 eggs, season with salt & pepper, and beat together. set aside
In another small bowl, mix together, 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko, and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. set aside.
Also,one more small bowl, with about 1 cup flour.

Dredge flattened chicken first in flour, then in egg, then in bread crumbs, and then transfer to a hot greased pan, and brown on both sides.  The chicken does not need to be completely cooked. once browned transfer to large rectangular baking dish.  Top as you would a pizza according to your preference.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, and cheese is melted.
Serve with buttered noodles, or pesto orzo, and steamed vegetables.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment