Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Vegan Mayan Coconut Milk "Ice Cream"


How hard is your father to buy presents for? Any parent or grandparent, really?  They already have everything!  And everything we seem to give to my dad, he just hoards away, saving it for some special occasion, or more likely to re-gift!  This past Christmas when my sister gave my dad a B.E.A.utiful Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, I thought it was total genius.  You see, My dad can eat astonishing amounts of ice cream, not a large amount in one sitting mind you; he typically eats small amounts at a time, but has a bowl both after lunch...AND after dinner...AND he doesn't gain a pound!!  Totally unfair, why could I get that part of the genetics, instead of the OCD, and thinning hair!!

 
Anywhoo, this ice cream maker you would assume to be the perfect gift for him, but when I was visiting my folks a few weeks ago, I asked my dad how he like his ice cream maker? and does he use it lots?  I was totally surprised to hear him say, that he's only used it once!  I thought I'd try my luck and see if he would consider loaning it to me, as I had been wishing for an ice cream maker myself, but other expenses with more priority kept coming before the purchase of an ice cream maker.  He said yes!! I promised to make him ice cream on their next visit, and that he could have it back whenever he might wish.

I could not wait to get back from the remainder of our vacation, to get to experiment with my new toy!  I skipped all the traditional recipes, and went straight to experimental!  I really wanted to try an Ice Cream recipe using coconut milk, instead of the traditional heavy creams and whatnot.  So I researched a number of sites to get the idea of measurements, and then came up with the idea for a Mayan coconut milk ice cream.   Creamy, sweet, and spicy, all together in a delicious frozen treat.  I was all over it!  And if you enjoy some heat in your (non-dairy) frozen treat, you'll love it too!

The flavour profile was a little too intense for my kids, and with Cory out of town, I was left to eat the majority of it, so that I could free up freezer space for my next ice cream foray!  The family consensus is for something more vanilla.  So many more frozen treats to come, wish there was more summer left!



Mayan Coconut Milk Ice "Cream"

2 14-ounce refrigerated cans coconut milk (full fat for optimal creaminess)
1/2 cup agave or honey
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Pinch salt



Using a blender, add together the cans of chilled coconut milk and agave until fully incorporated.  Next add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt.  Blend until thoroughly mixed.
Transfer the mixture to your ice cream machine, and churn according to the manufacturers manual.
If you desire a firmer consistency, place in container in freezer for an hour or so, and serve with toasted coconut.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment