Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers Day Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes


When I saw this recipe from the Minimalist Baker recently, I knew I had found the perfect Father's Day Breakfast for our resident Daddy.  The only problem being, that their particular version was far too healthy for our Daddy.  There is no way he would go for a vegan, gluten-free breakfast, on his special day...


So, I made them 'specially for him, with all the gluten, and all the dairy, 'cuz that's the way he likes it, and topped them with a real deal peanut butter cup.  Happy Father's Day!!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes

    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch salt
    1 cup buttermilk more, if necessary
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 Tablespoons cocoa
    2 Tablespoons peanut butter



    In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and whisk to combine; set bowl aside.
    I like to use a large measuring cup, then I can pour the batter directly from it into the pan, not making more dishes using ladles or smaller measuring cups.  So, to the measuring cup add buttermilk, egg, oil, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Add wet and dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Split the batter between two bowls or measuring cups.  To one add the cocoa, and to the other add the peanut butter (I microwaved the peanut butter first, so it wasn't so hard to stir in, but no too hot, you don't want to cook the egg!)
    Spray a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray, and use medium heat. Once skillet is hot, pour a small amount of the peanut butter batter in the center of the pan, and then carefully pour (circling the peanut butter), the cocoa batter.  Cook until bubbles appear in the center of the pancakes, and flip carefully.  I made these HUGE for extra special pancakes, you could use less batter for smaller pancakes. 
    I found I had much more peanut butter batter left over, so I made small peanut butter chocolate chip pancakes for the kids as well.

    Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment