Wednesday, May 22, 2013

GF Candy Bars

 

We're not a candy bar eating family, couldn't imagine eating a whole chemical and sugar laden candy bar, really.  But we do have mega-sweet teeth (tooth's?)!  I have been known to refuse a chocolate bar, but eat 3 cookies, no problem.  These here candy bars, are totally amazing.  Aaaaand, they're not horrible for you!!  I can very rarely get my kids into the raw treats that I enjoy, but the chocolate on top sealed the deal! I'm sure calling them "candy bars" didn't hurt either, actually my little guy just referred to them as chocolate squares... and may he have another?  I, was happy to oblige! 

These bars are a blend of two recipes I've recently encountered.  First, from  a new blog I stumbled across called Simply...Gluten Free.  A great blog, and she also has published cookbooks, which we have at CPL!  And then Secondly, from the hugely publicized new cookbook from Gwenyth Paltrow, called Its All Good.  Love Gwenyth...or hate her, the cookbook is actually really good!  Gwenyth actually shared this recipe in the April issue of Self Magazine, of which she was on the cover. 


What always alters the way I adapt a recipe, is which ingredients I have on hand.  I don't usually have sunbutter (as was called for in one recipe), but I do have sunflower seeds!  I didn't have that many cashews (as was called for in the other recipe) but I do have pumpkin seeds!  Don't be afraid to experiment!  This recipe is forgiving, and you could take it any direction you choose!  I also recommend instead of cutting into bars, cut into small sized squares; this gives you a smaller portion, and you can get away with eating a couple without feeling (too) guilty! 


GF Candy Bars (Squared)

1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 coconut flakes
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 Tablespoons coconut oil

Line a 12 by 9 baking dish with a piece of parchment paper large enough to over hang the edges.
Place the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a food processor and pulse until you get a sand-like texture. Add the dates, peanut butter, honey, coconut flour, and coconut flakes and process until the mixture forms a dough. Press the dough firmly into your prepared dish.  Refrigerate or freeze the base while preparing your chocolate.  Combine the chocolate and coconut oil and melt in a double boiler,or microwave, until the chocolate is almost melted, approximately 2- 3 minutes, stir the chocolate until smooth.  Pour the melted chocolate over the firmed -up base and spread evenly.  Refrigerate again until the chocolate hardens, about 1 hour.  Cut into squares and serve!  Keep the squares stored in an airtight container in the fridge.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment