Friday, April 5, 2013

Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Biscuits


I've been wanting to make these biscuits forever...but I was scared.  'Cuz I knew I'd eat them all, that's why!  Thank god they came out of the oven just in time for me to leave the house.  I had to leave to take my daughter to soccer, so my husband had a chance to put a good dent in the batch before I got back.  But I was drooling with anticipation to get home and try them, and they were worth the wait!   



 So flaky and delish, I meant to eat only one.  Just one as a wheaty treat.  I only ate three, and that required allot of restraint, the sea salt on top is so super genius, I blame it on that. 



I served the biscuits with a yummy soup, and found that they didn't even need butter...but they were good with butter too, I tried just to make sure.   I think these biscuits would be fantastical made into a breakfast biscuit with bacon and eggs as well, droooool.   I didn't really change the original recipe at all, accept that I didn't have any fresh thyme on hand, so I used dried.  By mistake I added the thyme to the flour mixture, instead of the mushroom and onion, oops, they still turned out fine!    I foresee myself making these many more times!







Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Biscuits
Recipe adapted from: Joy the Baker

2-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons olive oil and 2 Tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and coarse ground black pepper
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk

Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium pan over medium heat.  Add mushrooms and allow to cook until golden brown.  The olive oil prevents the butter from burning, but still make sure to stir!  Add a dash of salt and pepper.  Remove mushrooms from the pan, set aside in a bowl for later.  Using the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and butter, and add onions and cook down until tender and browned, stirring occasionally.  Remove from the pan from heat, add the mushrooms back to the pan as well as the thyme, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.  Set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.  In another bowl, combine egg and milk and beat lightly with a fork.  Add milk mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.  Add the cooled mushroom and onion mixture and mix together using your hands.
Move dough to a floured surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll or pat out into approximately a 1-inch thickness.  Cut into 2-inch rounds or cut into 2×2-inch squares.  Rework excess dough to cut more biscuits as needed.  Place on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.  
Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment