Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Beefy Bean Bake





Not too sure what you see when you look out the window in your neck of the woods, but over the weekend -  here in Calgary, we received more snow.  This certainly isn't anything new for Calgary at this time of the year, but you can see it on every one's faces, and in their moods; we are ready for some sunshine, and warmer temperatures!  My ten year-old daughter even commented, that "it feels like the beginning of winter, not the end."  And I could not agree with her more!  I felt like crawling back under the covers, having a long, deep sleep, and waking up when spring is here to stay!









This Beefy Bean Bake is the perfect hibernation feast, and perfectly suited my mood and cravings as demanded by the weather.  I had all the ingredients in my pantry, which is perfect when you don't want to leave the house!  Ultimately, this recipe is low in cost, easy in effort, as well as hearty and filling!  I served it with a big ol' loaf of rustic sourdough, with loads of butter, and ate on the couch, under a blanket, in my jammies, in front of the TV.  Best.




 


Sunday morning I was on my way to a ViPR class, so I wasn't into eating anything too heavy before my workout.  But before I left I made breakfast for Cory.  I re-heated the Beefy Beans, and served them on buttery toast, with two fried eggs on top, and said it was "AH-Mazing!" ...he didn't save me a bite, but I'll take his word on it!

Today the sun is shining, and the snow is melting, Spring is on the horizon...and maybe some lighter recipes too!









Beefy Beans
Recipe Adapted From: The English Kitchen

1 Tablespoon Olive/Canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 cans (15 ounceish) baked beans, undrained (I used Bush's Baked Honey Beans)
2 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses (optional)
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
5 slices of bacon,
or as much as it takes to cover your casserole dish!


Preheat oven to 350 F
Using a large and deep pan, heat the oil, add the onion, stirring often, until it begins to soften.   Then add the garlic and cook for a few minutes longer. Meanwhile, In a separate pan cook the ground beef, stirring frequently and breaking it up as you go, until there is no pink remaining.  Drain if necessary. Add the beef to the onion and garlic pan.  Season with the salt and pepper, and add in the brown sugar, mustard, molasses, beans and tomatoes.  Taste.  Adjust seasoning as required. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish.   Arrange bacon over the top.  Cover tightly with lid or aluminum foil.  Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.  Take off tinfoil/lid and Broil for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon.  
Serve with your favourite bread, and coleslaw!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment