Monday, March 25, 2013

Sausage n' Spinach Pasta


This is an easy family fave I can throw together on a busy week night with little prep, other than making certain I have the ingredients on hand.  This week though, I didn't quite have enough of any one kind of pasta, so I used the remaining amounts of practically every pasta in my pantry...rigatoni, penne, cavatappi, and fuscili.  Funny looking, but practical!

Everybody has their preferences in my house, but even though it's a one dish meal, I'm still able to cater to everyone's tastes.   I'm following the Paleo philosophy (no pasta), but usually Sloane doesn't eat the sausage, so I help her out, and Presley wants his noodles plain, so I just separate his before I add them to the skillet.  I serve it with garlic bread, and a  big ol' salad, making the salad meal sized for myself - and everybody's happy!


Creamy Sausage and Spinach Pasta
2-3 cups pasta  - Rigatoni or Penne work best
5 uncooked Italian sausages
1 small onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup milk - I use 2%
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 - 2 Tbsp flour
6 cups spinach about 1/2 of a bag
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, but not mushy or overcooked.
While the pasta is cooking, remove the sausage meat from the casings, and in a large deep skillet break into clumps, and cook until no longer pink.  Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper (add more/less to taste), and cook until the onions go translucent.  Sprinkle the flour on to the sausage mixture, stir a little to incorporate, and then add both the milk and chicken broth, stirring until it comes to a boil, and you have your sauce.  Lower your heat - If you would like a thicker sauce add more flour, or add more milk for a thinner sauce.
When pasta is cooked drain and add to the skillet, add spinach and toss, then add parmesan cheese and mix well.  Serve immediately with extra parm, if you wish!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment