Friday, March 29, 2013

Hashbrown Waffles




Mention waffles at my house, and you get a bunch of excited humans.  Mention hashbrown waffles?  Look out!   I've never had much success with homemade shredded hashbrowns before, they always seem to turn into a grey glob.  I usually stick to chunky or sliced potatoes, if I'm going all out for breakfast.    


The family digs those hashbrown patties you can buy frozen, probably because they're similar to something you might get at a major fast food chain.  The frozen hashbrown are probably filled with extra fat and chemicals, and I dislike purchasing anything I feel I can make myself at a lesser cost, and greater health.  This recipe seemed relatively easy, and they were...I just recommend really greasing the waffle maker well, I did it well for the first batch, and they came off super clean, but my second batch I got lazy, and they were more like a  hashbrown haystack, but still super yum!







Hashbrown Waffles

5 large Potatoes (peeled and shredded)
1 cup Onion (grated)
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream
3 tablespoons Butter (melted; divided)
Salt and Pepper







My waffle maker only has two temperatures: Off and On, maybe your waffle maker has different settings?
Turn On your waffle maker, using a medium/high heat if applicable.
Liberally season the potatoes with salt, toss, and let sit for about 10 minutes. The salt helps the potatoes release water, so I recommend placing them in a colander and putting over the sink to drain. Add the grated onions to the poatoes and ring out excess moisture using a clean kitchen towel.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl add the eggs and sour cream. Season with pepper.
Brush the hot waffle maker with melted butter. Evenly spread potato mixture around the waffle maker. Close and cook until the potatoes are crispy and brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment